Monday, February 16, 2009

Desert Chapter: Rivers in the Desert

And here's the favor of God, that I was given a new, better job, even in the middle of a recession. And here is the story.

In the middle of November, I applied to a company in London. I hesitated at first, because they said the starting date was in April, which I thought was a bit too long, but I applied anyway. I was invited for a technical test. Unfortunately, I did not score well in the test and the company said they won't be proceeding with my application. Another rejection email, I thought.

Around mid December, the same company contacted me again with the prospect of doing another test, and so I did. They did not give me any immediate feedback. And so the Christmas and new year week passed without any news from the company.

Curious I asked the company, early second week of January. I got a reply only after one week. That was ten days before my scheduled departure for Singapore. They asked me for a convenient time for a phone interview. I told them about my flight schedule and asked them to arrange interviews withing one week if possible.

I did the phone interview on the same day, with an hour notice. Without much preparation, I think I didn't do very well on some of the technical questions. Still, they invited me for a second interview in their offices, in a week's time.

At this point, I had no other pending application and was preparing to give up my job search here. But I thought, I will also prepare well for this interview so that I can fly back without any regrets. The interview went well and I was offered a job the next day in financial software development. That was two days before my scheduled flight. Also, somehow they changed the start date, so instead of April, I started in February, just a week after accepting their offer.

I believe it's God's way of saying that he could still do a miracle in the last hour. Also that in times when my abilities failed and my confidence plummeted, God could still give his grace to save the day.

1 comment:

Krishna said...

Well, walls (Hurdles, barriers) are there for a reason. They are there to let us know, how badly we want things.