Thursday, January 22, 2009

Desert Chapter: Dealing with Pride

Getting deeper into the desert path, I believe God was revealing some issues I had in my heart. This was one of them. At one point when I was searching for work, I met with a friend who had been offered a good job. I felt small then. However, I still had these interviews lining up, so my hopes were still pretty high. When I did not get those jobs, the feeling then became more like pain.

The feeling was more like broken pride than envy. The reason was this. I often helped this friend I mentioned previously with coursework and thus I felt that I am better than him academically. I would have been okay, for example, if someone else with a higher capability gets the job. For me, that would be a fair deal.

The feeling lingered for a few days and it was making me uncomfortable. Somehow I knew that it had to do with pride and I had to deal with it properly. So, one night I put this in prayer. I confess what I felt and how prideful I was and asked God to forgive and work on my heart. Subsequently, I felt peace and relief, at least until this day.

No comments: